Tekno RC announces their sweet new 1/8 scale nitro buggy, the NB48. Built on the popular EB48 and SCT410 platforms, the NB48 shares many parts already available around the world. But the real fun begins when you start to notice the details and optimizations we put into the vehicle. Like its electric counterpart, the EB48, this is not a conversion – it’s a ground up nitro design. Check out all the information and photos after the jump!
We started with the chassis and weight distribution. After computer analyzing dozens of different layouts it became clear that a lot of the current vehicles on the market are not optimized. Some are too heavy on the right side (rear diff output is offset too far). Others are more balanced but the engine and weight distribution aren’t as centralized (rear diff output is not offset enough), producing slower steering response in ‘U’ and ‘S’ sections.
We achieved ideal side-to-side weight by creating an all new mid-offset rear bulkhead and ring gear. It moves the engine closer to the center without overloading the right side. It also minimizes drive angles and wear on the center dog bones. The NB48 drivetrain is as free as can be without sacrificing chassis layout and weight balance on the very narrow 4mm 7075 CNC hard anodized aluminum chassis.
The next question was, “do we put the weight forward or back?” How about both? The engine can be mounted in two positions, a front position and an 18mm offset rear position. Under most conditions, the motor forward produces the fastest cornering and subsequent lap times. In very bumpy or very loose conditions testing shows the rear engine position can be easier to drive.
The last challenge with weight distribution is how low you can place it. Following a design cue from the EB48, we created the radio tray and the right mudguard as one piece. This allowed the RX battery to essentially sit on the chassis producing the lowest CG possible. The RX sits right behind the battery and the throttle servo is mounted behind the RX. Wiring is clean and easy with almost no exposed wires. Finishing off the radio tray are integrated transponder, switch, and antenna mounts. The entire radio tray/mud guard can be removed with only 6 screws making cleaning your new nitro ride an easy task.
The throttle and brake linkage setups on the NB48 were approached with precision and consistency in mind. The throttle is pulled by a CNC machined assembly riding on ball bearings. Yes, it costs more to produce, but we thought a system so critical to the performance of a nitro vehicle should be perfect.
The brakes were designed to be simple and effective. They are side-mounted on the center differential assembly and brake bias adjustments are a simple turn of the connecting turnbuckle. After testing various disc and brake pad material combinations, it was abundantly clear that a steel disc with semi-metallic brake pads is the best setup. Again, it costs more to produce, but how lame are brakes that are inconsistent and fade on the 3rd lap of your main event?
A new NB48 specific 4 shoe clutch and clutch bell transmit power smoothly and efficiently. Access to the clutch shoes and springs are simple with no special tools required other than a hex driver. Large diameter inner and outer bearings means more time in between rebuilds and less bearing failure. The clutch bells are also compatible with most other 4 shoe clutch systems.
The fuel tank is a typical clunk style tank, but with some additional features to keep things running well and running clean. Raised sides on the outside of the tank help keep fuel off the chassis. There is also an overflow fuel outlet that drains through the bottom of the chassis. We spent a lot of time choosing the right spring and seal for the tank. The result is a tank that runs virtually the same from fuel fill up to pit stop.
The steering and suspension are direct carryovers from the EB48. Bulletproof suspension arms, silky smooth 16mm bore shocks, precision steering, and a ton of adjustments will keep you headed in the right direction. The differentials are light and extremely durable. They will provide consistent leak-free performance tank after tank.
We also decided to include a host of performance parts that are usually options on most other cars. These include lightened aluminum pivot balls, steering posts, lightened gears and outdrives throughout, CNC tapered pistons, and super lightened offset wheel hubs. Dry weight is roughly 3260g depending on equipment installed.
When you back all of this up with Tekno RC’s unparalleled customer service and community interaction, you have yourself one of the most competitive and innovative buggies available. The NB48 should be available in Fall 2013 and will be competitively priced with other top quality buggies on the market.
- Optimized Narrow Chassis Layout with Adjustable Weight Distribution and Flex Characteristics
- Engine Can be Mounted in Forward or Rearward Position (18mm offset)
- 4mm CNC Machined Hard Anodized Lightened 7075 Aluminum Chassis
- Integrated Radio Tray/Mud Guard for Unmatched COG, Lightness, and Durability
- Class leading front and rear clearance (short chassis overhang) provides better bump handling and jump landing.
- Spacious, enclosed, easy access radio box with integrated transponder mount
- Adjustable chassis brace system for fine tuning flex with center, and rear braces
NB48 Differentials and Drivetrain:
- Innovative Rear Offset Differential Provides Minimal Drive Angles and Reduced Wear
- Lightened Drivetrain Components Throughout – Standard
- 3 Fluid Filled Adjustable Lightweight Differentials
- Less Rotating Mass = Better Acceleration
- CV Driveshafts with Captured Pins on all 4 Wheels
- 16mm Bore CNC Machined Hard Anodized Threaded Aluminum Shock Bodies
- CNC Aluminum Shock Caps, Preload Adjusters, and Cartridge Caps
- CNC Machined Tapered Pistons
- 5mm CNC Machined 7075 Aluminum Shock Towers
- Fully Adjustable Long Travel Suspension Geometry Maximizes Stability and Traction While Providing Superior Cornering and On-Power Steering.
- 4mm Hardened Steel Polished Shock Shafts.
- Triple Guide Design for reduced Shaft Deflection.
- Optional spring rates and spring kits are available.
NB48 Suspension and Steering:
- 7075 Aluminum Adjustable Hinge Pin Braces
- Adjustable length rear arms to suit any track condition.
- Adjustable front arm sweep and angle to make the car more aggressive (swept forward), or easier to drive (swept back).
- Front and rear arms can be used on either side, rear hubs can be used on either side – less parts in your toolbox.
- Front/rear sway bars are the same length = less parts in your toolbox
- ‘Narrow pivot’ steering posts provide ‘0 bump’ geometry without almost 0 steering slop
- 4mm inner, 3.5mm outer hinge pins, polished for smooth action
- Adjustable Ackerman and bump-steer
- Ball Bearing Steering System Virtually Eliminates Slop
- LCG rod ends and lightweight turnbuckles are lowered by 5mm
- Adjustable steering stops for precise steering travel setting
NB48 Brakes, Clutch, Fuel Tank:
- Steel Disc Brakes with Semi-Metallic Brake Pads are Consistent and Fade-Free
- Ball Bearing Throttle Linkage Assembly for Smooth and Quick Operation
- “Clunk” Style Fuel Tank with Integrated Spill Guard and Outlet
- Adjustable 4-Shoe Clutch System
Other NB48 Features:
- Lightened Pivot Balls, Steering Posts, and Wheel Hubs – Standard
- Lightweight easily adjustable wing mount system
- High downforce wing included
- Easily adjust anti-squat, rear toe, front arm angle, front arm sweep, roll center, toe, camber, wheelbase, rear arm length, Ackerman, bump steer, suspension geometry out of the box
- Shares Many Parts with Our Acclaimed EB48 and SCT410 = Less Spare Parts in Your Box
- All metric hex hardware
Tekno NB48 Specs:
- Availability: Fall 2013
- Part: TKR5300
- Price: $599